(05/18/09) Well Hello
again everyone and thanks for all the support. I wanted
to shair some news about the Racers.net Server has
gone though a hardware and OS upgrade. The server is
now a Green Server, running a pair of L5420 Xeon CPU's,
a RoHS 5/6 Server board, an Earthwatts 80 Plus PSU
all running on W3k - Runs strong, tough, and earth
i hope all of you are surviving the economic downturn.
Something that seems almost just as bad is our weather
Radar was taken out by a wind gust of 147 Mph. Check
out this link here for all the information. Click
(04/26/8) Nevada Seismological
Laboratory University of Nevada Reno has issued a press
release of the possibility of a larger Quake of 4.7.
We up here in northern Nevada have been having a swarm
of quakes for almost a month now, all in the same place
and most are very shallow. Its quite interesting to
watch. Press release: Quake And i have a script setup
for local quakes using Ken Trues excellent earthquake
script, check it out here: Local
Quake Brace yourselves and enjoy! Bob
(01/06/08) Happy New
year everyone. As many of you have asked hows the snow,
it is awsome! This weekend storm has been one of the
biggest around here for at least 5 years. We have well
over 3 feet around lake level and 3 times that up higher.
(09/21/07) It has been
a long hot summer here in Tahoe. We had a span of about
84 days of no rain. We now have snow in the upper elevations
of Lake Tahoe, and we are forecast for as much as a
foot and a half for this weekend.
(02/26/07) Well well
now. Looks like i spoke to soon. We are now getting
our whole year season of snowfall in one storm it seems...
(See snowfall report here
Well as our long Dry winter has come to a close, we
have yet to see any real snowfall. Lots of rain.. But
there is always next year, right? Btw we are upgrading
all our computer systems. There is a new server that
we now running on and will be testing a new video cam
in the near future. Have fun and enjoy.
(11/23/06) It has been
awhile since our last news post. It has finally started
to snow again. The Racers Net server has had a few
upgrades this year. We installed a new 15k drive and
two faster processors with fans.
Check out this whiteout cought
on the weather cam shown in timelaps. It turned almost
completely dark outside for over a minute, (04/16/06)
Instructions: Check lake conditions before heading out and be prepared for a
sudden increase in winds and wave heights. Consider postponing
boating activities on the lake until a day with less wind.
Message summary: ...lake wind advisory remains in effect until 4 pm pst this
afternoon for lake tahoe... * winds: southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. * wave heights: 2 to 4 feet. Highest from mid-lake to northern
and eastern shores. * small boats, kayaks and paddle boards will be prone to
capsizing and should remain off lake waters until conditions
improve. ...view the complete message
Message summary: ...winter storm warning remains in effect from 4 pm this
afternoon to 4 pm pst friday... * what...heavy snow expected. Plan on difficult travel conditions,
including during the evening commute. Expect damage to trees and
power lines as well. Below 7000 feet...total snow accumulations
of 4 to 7 inches are expected, with localized amounts up to 10
inches along the west shores of lake tahoe. Above 7000 feet...10
to 18 inches with localized amounts up to 2 feet are expected. * where...greater lake tahoe area. * when...from 4 pm this afternoon to 4 pm pst friday. Heaviest
snow is most likely between 6 pm this evening and 2 am early
friday. * additional details...be prepared for significant reductions in
visibility at times with wind gusts 35 to 50 mph producing areas
of blowing snow.
Precautionary/preparedness actions... Avoid travel if possible, you could be stuck in your vehicle for
many hours. If you must travel, prepare for long delays and carry
an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing. If you stay
home, have a backup plan in case of power outages. The latest
road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1. ...view the complete message
Message summary: Backcountry avalanche watch
immediate broadcast requested
17:00 pst thu jan 18 2018
the sierra avalanche center in truckee has issued a backcountry
avalanche watch for the following areas:
nws reno nv - nvz002 (greater lake tahoe)...caz072 (greater lake
tahoe (ca)) * timing...in effect from thu 17:00 pst to fri 17:00 pst. * affected area...central sierra nevada mountains between yuba
pass (hwy 49) on the north and ebbetts pass (hwy 4) on the
south, including the greater lake tahoe area. * avalanche danger...the avalanche danger for the warning area may
rise to high during the overnight hours thursday into the
daytime hours friday. * reason/impacts...forecast heavy snow combined with wind may
result in widespread avalanches. * precautionary / preparedness actions...very dangerous avalanche
conditions may occur. If so, travel in avalanche terrain is not
recommended. Avalanches may run long distances and can run into
mature forests, valley floors, or flat terrain.
Consult https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/ or
www.avalanche.org for more detailed information.
Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the
coverage area of this or any avalanche center. ...view the complete message
Rain after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Rain before 7pm, then snow between 7pm and 4am, then snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
A chance of snow showers before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.
Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. West wind around 5 mph.
A chance of snow after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Snow likely before 4pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
A chance of snow showers before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.
A chance of snow after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
A chance of snow before 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
A chance of rain and snow before 4am, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Forecast from NOAA-NWS
for Tahoe Vista, CA. (retry forecast)
FXUS65 KREV 181124
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
324 AM PST Thu Jan 18 2018
A winter storm will impact the Sierra and western Nevada today and
Friday. Strong winds will develop today with a period of heavy
snowfall in the mountains from late this afternoon through early
Friday morning, producing hazardous driving conditions with poor
visibility and blowing snow. Much colder air with snow showers is
expected Friday, with additional storm systems possible next week.
We will keep all existing winter and wind headlines in place, and
add Mono County to a winter weather advisory for late tonight
through Friday morning. This storm is more of a typical January
storm with a relatively short period of significant travel impacts
for eastern CA (primarily from late this afternoon into early
Friday morning from Alpine County northward, and from late evening
into Friday morning for Mono County), but the fast movement will
produce rapidly worsening travel conditions with poor visibility
in wind-swept snow, especially for the Sierra passes. Considering
the mild winter we`ve received so far, this sharp change in the
weather pattern could produce greater than usual issues for
motorists not yet accustomed to dealing with snow on the roads.
Main concerns with this storm:
* Strong gusty winds today: A strong thermal gradient and
approaching upper level jet stream are still on track, with 700
mb winds increasing to near 55 kt. Model soundings indicate a
shallow stable layer between 675-725 mb which could lead to
localized downslope enhancement this afternoon during lee side
precipitation shadowing. We are still anticipating peak wind
gusts around 60 mph for many locations along the Sierra Front
from the Reno-Carson vicinity southward to Mono County, with
potential gusts up to near 75 mph in wind prone areas. Sierra
ridge gusts are expected to surpass 100 mph this afternoon and
* Heavy mountain snow with potential for white-out conditions:
Periods of heavy snow are still expected to begin in northeast
California by mid-afternoon, then push south into Tahoe and
Alpine County during the late afternoon/early evening and
continue overnight. Farther south into Mono County, the moisture
band is projected to lose some of its punch, but it appears
that snowfall will be sufficient to produce travel impacts from
US-395 westward during the late night and Friday AM commute.
When combined with the gusty winds and cooler air mass, periods
of white-out conditions are likely. Travel in the Sierra should
be avoided tonight if possible.
* Western Nevada snow through Friday AM: Low confidence, but
potential for travel impacts. Current estimates for snow
accumulation around the Reno and Carson metros are still less
than 1 inch, and the model guidance is trying to cut off the
precip from the urban areas. However, since some forcing is
still likely along the cold front and moisture isn`t overly
shallow (moist layer up to near 600 mb on some of the wetter
model soundings), we are not going to rule out the possibility
of a brief period of snow with reduced visibility before the
precip winds down. This may be more of an issue for untreated
roads near and above 5000 feet, leading to potential impacts for
the Friday morning commute.
* Friday afternoon/evening commute issues: Also a lower confidence
item, but with some instability projected for north central CA
Friday afternoon associated with the upper trough passage, snow
shower bands developing from Lassen County southward to the
Tahoe basin could spread into the urban areas when temperatures
are more likely to be near or below freezing. Widespread heavy
snowfall amounts are unlikely, but a few locations could receive
a quick inch or more of snow, if a band persists over the same
area for a sufficient amount of time. These types of snow shower
bands are notorious for setting up along portions of I-80, so
keep aware of this possibility if planning travel over the
By Friday night, drier air with north flow aloft behind the upper
trough passage should lead to the snow showers diminishing. Shortwave
ridging on Saturday will keep most areas dry with below average
temperatures, except some weak warm advection aloft could produce
isolated very light snow showers north of Susanville-Gerlach. MJD
.LONG TERM...Sunday through next week...
Latest projections continue to take the next shortwave into the
Pacific Northwest on Sunday-Monday, which unfortunately will take
most of the moisture and dynamics north of our area. There is enough
moisture that will push down into the northern Sierra late Sunday
into Monday morning. The best snow chances look to occur from far
southwest Lassen County southward to the Sierra crest west of
Tahoe, where we could see up to 8 inches of snow. Elsewhere across
eastern CA including lake level around Tahoe and southward to
Mono County, snowfall amounts are likely to be less than 4 inches.
Snow levels will be 4000-4500 feet Sunday night, with the
boundary layer isothermal due to weak warm air advection aloft.
Along with this we will see broad isentropic lift that will
spillover light precip into the valleys of western Nevada. Doesn`t
look heavy at all, but we could see a light dusting of snow
(generally less than one inch) on the valley floors in northeast
CA and western NV. Anyone with travel plans in the Sierra should
definitely be prepared for winter driving conditions and
potentially a slick Monday morning commute with light snow on the
valley floors. Keep posted to our latest weather forecasts for
the Monday morning commute, as these lighter snow events
typically can catch folks off guard after the weekend.
The unsettled weather pattern continues through next week with
another storm system moving into the West Coast Wednesday-Thursday.
This doesn`t look like an overly strong storm, but will likely still
bring travel difficulties over the Sierra and possibly for western
NV valleys as well. -Hoon
A Winter Storm will impact the Sierra and western Nevada terminals
today. Impacts include: strong and gusty winds, turbulence and wind
shear, accumulating snowfall for Sierra terminals.
*WIND: Winds are currently increasing over the Sierra Crest with
gusts already up to 60 kts reported on mountaintop sensors. This
will create areas of moderate turbulence this morning. Wind gusts
will continue to strengthen to near 100 kts this afternoon with
moderate to severe mountain wave turbulence expected along and
east of the Sierra.
Terminals should begin to see strong winds develop after 18-20z with
gusts at area terminals reaching 35-50 kts. Low-level wind shear,
moderate to severe mountain wave turbulence and rotors downwind of
the Sierra are likely. Winds will begin to decrease behind the
cold frontal passage sometime this evening after 06z.
*RAIN & SNOW: Snow begins at KTRK and KTVL this afternoon after
00z (06z KMMH) with periods of moderate to heavy snow possible in
the 03-15z window (09-18Z KMMH). Gusty winds and high ratio
(dry/light) snowfall may produce periods of zero visibility (white
out conditions) in blowing snow. Accumulations of 4-6 inches are
possible for KTRK/KTVL, 2-4 inches at KMMH through Friday morning.
KRNO and KCXP will see light rainfall by this evening with a change
over to snow expected behind the front around 10-12z. A light
snowfall accumulation of 0.5-1.0" is possible Friday morning.
NV...Lake Wind Advisory until 4 PM PST this afternoon for Lake Tahoe
Winter Storm Warning from 4 PM this afternoon to 4 PM PST Friday
High Wind Warning from 10 AM this morning to 10 PM PST this
Lake Wind Advisory until 7 PM PST this evening for Pyramid Lake
CA...Winter Weather Advisory from noon today to 10 AM PST Friday
High Wind Warning from 4 PM this afternoon to 4 AM PST Friday
Winter Weather Advisory from 10 PM this evening to 10 AM PST
Lake Wind Advisory until 4 PM PST this afternoon for Lake Tahoe
Winter Storm Warning from 4 PM this afternoon to 4 PM PST Friday
For more information from the National Weather Service visit...